living room khaki walls

living room khaki walls

sir, please forgive me, sir. i'm innocent!i have two young children, sir. they'll be alone without me.i beg you, sir! god bless you. didn't you think of themwhen you turned bandit? take care of him. you? khan.. god bless you.. mohammad khan. of rajasthan police?


when did you arrive?- by this train. come. let's sit by the fire. so what brings you here?- i've come to meet you. i have some very good news. what news? the bandit ujagar and his gang.. ..are coming to fatehpur sikri. confirmed news? nothing less.the news comes from his man purkhiya.


i say inform the police that.. ..ujagar singh isgoing to salim chishti. going where? the mausoleum of salim chishtiat fatehpur sikri. he's going thereto pay his respects. take it. purkhiya is his closest aide.why is he informing us? who doesn't dream of powerand leadership, sir? purkhiya can become gang leader..


..only if ujagar is out of his way. when is he coming?- he should be in by daybreak. in the name of the lord,give this mendicant some alms. forgive me. i'm a poor man here.what can i give? you don't recognise me? i'm inspector yadav. pardon me, mr. yadav.but why are you in this attire? mr. mujawar, emperor akbarcame here his feet unclad. why not me in a mendicant's garb?


very good! but a mendicantis he who is pure at heart.. ..not he who dresses as one. you are right. but today, i needed to be so attired,and so did my men. the bandit ujagar is visiting today.i'm here to tell you that. bandit? coming here? to take what? he has got what he wanted. his wife had made a wish.she has now borne a son. he's coming here to pay his respects.


before the lord,accused and innocent all stand equal. maybe. but all i know is.. ..for all my wife's wishes for a son,all she has left me.. ..is a motherless daughter. in the name of the lord,don't despair, mr. yadav. for what scant wish there's left,my wife is no more. myriad are his ways. no knowing when andhow he grants you your wish. "unto you.."


"unto you,i come to renounce all i have." "unto you i cometo renounce all i have." "to make my promise good,i come to you." "nothing worldly.." "nothing worldly in theworld's bazaars i ever found." "whatever i have,in your court, i was given." why are children made topay for the crimes of their parents? only the lord knows his will. now this child is an orphan.


adopt him. he is the lord's boon. what are you saying? the son of a murderous bandit? the way of things, mr. yadav. of saints is born a monster.a monster begets a saint. you have given him a home,now give him a name. chishti blessed emperorakbar with a son.. ..and akbar named his son after him. salim.


but the lord has many names.give him any name. krishna. yes, krishna would be a nice name. let go. i said, let go! stop. krishna.. krishna.- are you telling me or not! leave! leave! why are you fighting?- what did you say? leave!


what are you up to? i wanted to join in their game. they refused.- why? they say their parents forbid them.i'm a bandit's son. my blood is tainted. nonsense. why don't you tellme the truth, father? what? was my father a bandit?if he was, who killed him?


son, you're too young now.i'll tell you all in good time. your clothes are soiled.now granny is going to beat you. what's happened to him?did he go rolling in muck? go and wash up. what happened? he got into a fight, what else? a bandit's son will pick fights. youexpect him to sing devotional songs? if this is the way you talk,how will i face the world, mother? a hundred times over, i'll say it.


blood tainted once is tainted forever. stop it, mother. father! come, dear. father, why do they makechildren sit on the lap? sorry, my mistake. your knee is bruised.plaster the wound with turmeric paste. why does he have to go out to play? there's school,there are chores at home.


the place needs dusting, the dishes.. i did all that beforei went out, granny. are you going to talk back?go to the market. buy onions and potatoes.also bell plant, if it's fresh. listen.. tell the grocer he isyet to deliver the sugar. now stop gaping and move it. father, can i go with krishna?- what for? let her go, mother. go on, my child.


krishna..- what is it? i'm coming with you.- no, go away. i'm walking on my own feet.- drop dead. i don't care. krishna, why are you angry?- what's to be happy about? why? isn't this your house?- sure, i'm the servant. doing the chores in yourown home makes you a servant? my home!- isn't it? father loves you so much.i love you too. were it not for you and father,i would have left long ago.


why this sudden expression of love? i can't bear to seeyou so lonely, shiva. get married once more.i have seen a girl for you. as pretty as the moon. yes, mother. as pretty as the moon. as sweet as sugar. anything more? don't you try laughing it away, shiva. first ask me who she is. what's the point?i don't wish to marry.


silly, she's parshram's granddaughter. what was her name? yes. chanchal.- she's the one. but she's many years younger to me.- she's no baby. besides,men are never too old to marry. no, i don't want to marry. then what happens to this family? will i live forever? once i'm dead.. without a lady, a house is desolate.- stop it, mother. how can i? is this lineage to perish?


the daughter will wed and leave. someday,she'll leave for her own home. don't you need a sonto carry on the lineage? god bless him, i have krishna. krishna will propagate your family? he isn't my bloodline.he's a killer's son. if i'm tolerating him,it's as a servant. you keep cursing him for no reason. of course.i'm crazy. but mark my words.


someday, he'll show his true colours.- god preserve you. look, i'm going back towork the day after tomorrow. let's talk about thisthe next time i'm home. go to bed. make sure the door isshut before you go to sleep. water the cows and look up the mare. poor thing is suffering. go to sleep, child. krishna..


krishna, my son.. father, open the door. father. come. the mare..- what happened to her? our kishori has foaled.- really? see this, father.- wonderful, kishori. you did very well. lovely foal, isn't he?


handsome, isn't he?name him pawan, after the wind. he'll run like the wind. yes, why not? we'll name him pawan. father, now i needn't makefriends with the neighbours. here's my playmate. why are you laughing?this uniform doesn't suit me? it suits you perfectly.you know how you look? like a scarecrow in the fields.


krishna! what's going on? i was cleaning up. i found this. it was very wrong ofyou to wear a police uniform. you'll pay for this. my mistake. i'm ready to be punished.- ready? your punishment is you'llbe sent to police school. that's where you'll stay untilyou graduate as a police officer. understand?


children, you've left yourhomes to come to this training school. here, you'll be givenvery important lessons of life. 'krishna,what kind of a school is that?' 'you haven't been givena holiday in years.' 'in my school,we have holidays every week.' 'father must have informedyou about granny's death.' 'father has married again.he tells me she's my new mother.' 'but there's nothingmotherly about her.' 'krishna, when are you coming home?'


'the foal pawan hasgrown into a horse. and i..' 'gauri.' congratulations. your parents haven't cometo celebrate your success? no. i've been told that youare shiv kumar yadav's son. yes. don't mind this, son. but shivkumar and i have worked together. as far as i know, he never had a son.he has only a daughter.


you are right, sir.i'm not mr. yadav's son. i'm an orphan. father.. gauri.. gauri. how do i tell you how happyi am about your gold medal? i'm proud. i feel as if i'm the onewho received the gold medal. much as i wanted to be there..


..when you were beingawarded the gold medal.. ..i took ill suddenly.i couldn't come. i hope you didn't feel bad. no father, how could i feel bad? well..have you met gauri? she has missed you every moment. when you left her,she was such a little girl. she's not a little girl any more. she has grown into a beautiful woman.


silly boy! she isn't gauri.bless you. she is my wife. sorry about the mistake, father. forgive me. so this is your krishna? yes, he's just as charming.all he needs is a flute. i'd rather he never plays a flute. he'd become a piedpiper for the girls. where's gauri?


she may have gone to the market.she'll be back soon. father, is my room intact? just like you left it. let me stow my luggage away. my room must be waiting for me. go, son. remember me? that's right. now smile.


put those arms down,you aren't scaring the crows away. they'll perch on your shoulders. enough, gauri. stop fibbing me. how have you been? just about all right. you live in that room?- no. when i'm tired of the chores,i lie down in your room. it's so relaxing. what are you doing?this work is not for you.


who else will do it? in my dreams, you've alwaysbeen a princess. but here.. a maidservant? the maid will turninto a princess in no time. now i'm here,i'll take care of everything. what are you doing? stop it! i say stop it, krishna. no krishna, that's not a job for you.you're a police officer. these strong arms aren'tmeant for such lowly work.


here's the whole team!am i being left all alone? krishna, now that you'vebeen awarded a medal.. ..there's also somethingthat i want to give you. want to see? one minute. here's your childhood friend, pawan. come on. take him. pawan. how have you been, friend? father.- bless you.


make up with your friend. come on, gauri. girivar. what's the matter, gauri? nothing. gauri, is there somethingyou mean to say but won't? that's what it's like. do tell me what it is. krishna, i feel stifled.


i'm not going to live for long. what are you saying, gauri?what's wrong with you? tell me, if you care anything for me. all right, i'll tell you.but first, look away. well, all right. now tell me. you're laughing? silly. the death you speakof is actually life.


it's about starting a new life. what do you mean? you've left your childhood behind.now you're an adult. you are a woman andyou can become a mother. mother? won't live for long? gauri, you've beenanxious for nothing. you should have asked someone. who else but you could i talk to?


i can't possibly tell father. and the new mother thinks i'm a maid,nothing more. is she very cruel to you? i can take anything. but she misbehaves with father too. the only one she'snice to is girivar mathur. who's that? he keeps dropping by. he's an officer at the police station.


well done. hello, mr. yadav. welcome, mr. mathur. god bless you. dear, a yoghurt shakefor him too, please? right away. i trouble you for no good reason,mr. yadav. but i can't stop listening to you. much ado about nothing. here you are.


laced with so much butter? without butter,yoghurt shake goes unconsummated. mr. yadav, yesterday youtalked of the bandit you killed. yes, poor guy. there was a thick file on him. started early in life,stealing the neighbour's fruit.. to tell you the truth, mr.yadav, stolen fruit is sweeter. but he went on and on. from fruit to cash to jewellery.


then murder, robbery. but the day he crossed my path i said,'god help you.' you pray for thieves and robbers too! god bless you, girivar.by now, it has become a habit. krishna, where have you been?- just been around. who is he? you haven't met krishna? he's fresh out of training school,with a gold medal. really?


come. sit. but where did you take her?- what? god bless you but these twohave been playmates since childhood. not gauri, i'm talking about pawan. i've given him to krishna as a prize. but i had my eyes on that one. now you better look elsewhere. you are?- sub-inspector girivar mathur. much pleased to meet you.


me too. congratulations onyour graduation, the medal and pawan. thanks. but remember just as a goodrider always seeks a good steed.. ..so too the steed is alwayseager to meet a good rider. right you are. but the search for a riderfor my horse ends with me. enough. gauri, you must be tired now. fill the rest of the water tomorrow. what's this sudden rush of empathy?


little do you know how a mother loves. tomorrow is raksha-bandhan[brother-sister festival]. i've bought a rakhi[thread symbolisingbrother-sister relationship].. ..and sweets. tomorrow morning after you bathe.. ..tie the rakhi on your brother'sarm and give him a sweet. krishna should be here soon.give him the rakhi here. what have you done?


you brat! you burnt your hands? what's that? how did your hands get burnt? tell me.- they didn't get burnt. i burnt them.- why? gauri, why? last night, she told meshe wanted me to give you a rakhi. i felt as if she wantsto destroy my dreams. and you burnt your hands?


better my hands than my whole life? what did you seek of god? my heart's desire. what's your heart's desire? i'm not telling you.- come on. tell me. tell me. "my heart's desire.." "..if you know.." "you'll laugh, you'll pester me."


"if i tell you, you'll tease me.." "if you know my heart's desire.." "you were too far awayfor me to tell you.." "the thought of itis so embarrassing." "i'm simple at heartand you know that." "what will you getout of making me suffer?" "but once you get toknow my heart's desire.." sir, that's your bodytelling you that it's time. time for what, qureshi?- time to go.


go? where to?- where are you dying to go? are you writing poetry? poetry and romanceare closely related. i mean, you get on with the romanceand let me get on with my poetry. not romance,it's just an excuse for making merry. and old mr.yadav's young wife is a pretty excuse. have one, sir. the one in my sights isn't his wife.it's his daughter. what a beauty! untainted.


well said, sir. but i thought.. you understand nothing.come, i'll explain. before you can pick the fruit,you must water the sapling. then you irrigate the roots, get that? then god help you unknowing. hey.. where are you off to?- to fatehpur sikri. fatehpur sikri. i've been posted there.the postman brought the letter late!


god be with you. but what's your hurry? i'm supposed to report tomorrow.the train leaves in ten minutes. krishna, i have something to tell you. do tell me, father. it has to do with the timewhen i was posted at fatehpur sikri. one day, god be with him.. ..a colleague of mine came calling,and told me that your.. god be with you, i mean your..


krishna, where are you going? i've been posted to fatehpur sikri. bye, gauri. bless you, son. gauri! leaving in a hurry,without even seeing pawan? pawan? and someone else? there's so much i want to say,but i can't quite say it.


bye. when will you be back? soon. i'll write. you must write too. "it isn't so easy toforget someone you love.." "the first words spoken in love." "you're leaving me, but.." "..every moment,at every step i'll think of you." come sit.


you might say thatno sooner had you arrived.. ..than you were thrown to the wolves. but two of purkhiya'smen have been spotted. you surely know of purkhiya? yes, sir. purkhiya the bandit?wanted by police since many years. neither he nor any of hismen have ever been apprehended. and my superiors areinsisting that we catch him. i can understand, sir.


if we nab one of his men,we might make some progress. i want you to go after them. take karamdin with you.he knows the entire area. very well, sir. good luck, my boy.- thank you, sir. no, sir! he's our informer. he'll lead us to purkhiyadadu's accomplices. karamdin, what is the matter?- sir.. you're feverish.


go back. i'll manage myself. and leave you all alone? it's nearing nightfall. don't worry, i'll find them. you go back.- all right, sir. policeman? hello.- hello, hello, mother. mother, i'm a police officer.i lost my way in the dark.


i need a place to rest for the night. i saw lights in your house. son, my house was always in the dark. with that 'mother' youhave lit up my dark home. step in, son. she's my wife, parvati. come in. parvati, let's have supper.- yes, dear. son, we were about to eat. join us. no, excuse me.


fortunate are those whohave guests at suppertime. more so, if he's like a son. sit.- sit. god. that's enough.- eat. you must've been hungry all day. what's your name, son?- krishna. son, what are you thinking about? eat. i was thinking of homes.


not walls, not people. love is what makes a home. mother, may i look up my horse?i'll sleep beside him. not out there, son. sleep on the cot. no, i'll make do on the floor. i'll sleep on the floor.i'm accustomed to it. no, no. this is where you'll sleep. i have heard that heavenis at a mother's feet. i want to spend a night in heaven.


bless you, son. enjoy yourself while you can, kid. you'll be rewarded for catching us. but remember,our friends aren't going to spare you. are you threatening me becausei'm a youngster? don't, please. 'dearest..' 'how are you?' 'i'm like i always was.' 'i'm where i was,my dream is still where it was.'


'last night, i dreamt of you.' 'and those who go far away..' '..visit us only in our dreams.' 'i yearn that the dreamwould go on forever.' 'who knows when i'llsee my beloved again.' 'every wish made atsalim chishti's mausoleum..' '..in fatehpur sikri comes true.' 'for the wish i've made,tie a wish-knot at the mausoleum.' 'when my dream comes true,i'll make an offering..'


'..and i'll untie the knot myself.your gauri.' bandit ujagar singh. inspector yadav. you..at this hour?are you looking for a criminal? is the mausoleum outof bounds for wrongdoers? sir.. why would they come to a place of god? twenty years ago, ujagar came here. yes he did, with his wifeand his son to pay his respects.


and on his way out,the police killed him. yes, his wife felldown the stairs and died. a policeman killed him. the policeman was shiv kumar yadav? yes, i remember it clearly. but mr. yadav was a wonderful man. he adopted the son of the.. ..bandit whom he had killed. the orphan?


are you sure? he asked me to name the child. i'm the one who named him.- krishna. excuse me,you never told me who you are. how can that be? how can men change like seasons? or maybe they could. just like her grandmother!she'd talk to herself too. say, what's the matter with you?- nothing at all, father.


tell me, what's the matter? it's krishna. i think he arrived this morning.his luggage is in his room. and he went awaywithout even seeing me. strange! god be with him.. ..he's here but he hasn't shown up? how silly of me!i've been looking for you everywhere.. ..and i never even thoughti'd find you here, if nowhere else. remember?


krishna, what is the matter? nothing at all. you're hiding something from me. is it that you don't love me any more? what a thing to say, gauri! then why are you so distant? why are you depressed? you'd rather not know. unless i know,how will i share a sorrow with you?


i even told you whatgirls hide from everyone. and you? in fatehpur, i got to know that.. ..my parents rejoiced when i was born. they went to the mausoleumto pay their respects. that's where they died. my mother fell down the stairsto her death. and my father.. ..was killed by a policeman. guess who the policeman was?


krishna, do you havevengeance in your heart? i'm no stone, nor am i god. and blood is thicker than water. but of whom do i seek vengeance? i lost a father once. i don't want to lose him again. what pains me is fathernever told me all this. he must have thoughtyou'd be hurt to know. no. he never trusted me.


never trusted my blood. don't talk like that, krishna. what i have to say hardly matters. what's true is true. there's only one truth. and what's that? what you find in my eyes is true. chanchal.. yes?


we're going to the marketplace. all right. come up here, quickly. yes?- come inside. will you please tie my blouse?i can't quite reach around. what?- tie it. it's only a string. do it. why are your hands shaking?you aren't a boy, are you?


i don't understand.. don't you know the language of eyes? krishna, look intomy eyes and you'll find.. ..love begging to be loved. leave me! for god's sake, let me go! you are father's wife. i'm about your age. krishna! i beg you, for father's honour!let me go.


for the sake of whose honour? the man who killed your parents? the man who destroyed your world? i can see vengeance in your eyes. his world lies before you. plunder it. krishna, what you just spurnedwas not my love but your life. i'm going to ruin you. i got arum root today,but he doesn't seem to like any food. what's come over him?


you ought to knowabout fatehpur sikri.. god bless you! you know too? i was apprehensiveright from the day.. ..he was posted to fatehpur sikri. but why didn't you tell him, father? i tried, several times. at times, it was inopportune.at times, courage failed me. no harm done yet.talk to him, save him from himself. i must. i hope he doesn'tend up doing something drastic.


cook arum root today.- all right, father. krishna loves it. take this. chanchal, what happened? will you stop cryingand tell me what happened? chanchal. who did this to you? why don't you speak? speak.


what has krishna done?- ask him. go on. embrace your beloved son. he found me all alone.he tried to rape me. i refused,and this is what he did to me. what even the devil wouldbe too ashamed to speak of! but not a bandit's son. ever since he has come toknow that you killed his father.. ..this scoundrel hasbeen seething with vengeance. knave! is this how you take revenge?


all lies! believe me, father! it's all lies. all lies. i'm telling the truth, father. i'm telling the truth. it's all lies, father!trust me, father. 'mark my words.someday, he'll show his true colours.' don't you dare call me 'father'! my mother was right.


that someday you'dshow your true colours. i swear on my dead mother, it's a lie! then what is the truth?- my tongue can't say it, father. may you burn in hell! lock up this son of a snake! what has he done? i'm too ashamed to speak of it! he has tainted motherhood. chanchal is like a mother to him.


he tried to dishonour her. oh. my young gentleman,have you got anything to say? maybe your jaws are locked? i'll help you open up. rascal. scoundrel. lock him up. please go home.i'll take care of everything. god help some fools.


now that you've lost face,all you do is keep pacing. what do you mean to say?- what you know already. the entire village is linkingthat son of a bandit with gauri. don't even mention him. and people always talk nonsense. not nonsense. it's true. wed her off as soon as you can. i could get her marriedoff tomorrow itself.. ..if there were a suitable boy.


you needn't go huntingfor a suitable boy. get her married to girivar. is that a decision or advice? who am i to decide in your stead? is there anything wrong with girivar? no, he's a good fellow. then get her married to girivar. i'm not marrying him. are you raving?


you heard me. aren't you ashamed oftalking back to your father? rather take a look at yourself.nothing is hidden from me. insolence. don't forget you'retalking to your mother. my mother is dead, father. don't worry.i'll talk to girivar tomorrow itself. no, qureshi.the gentleman won't eat that today. he'll have lunch with me in my office.bring him.


welcome. please sit. first, eat a sweet. come on, brother. go on. you were an old friend. won't you join in my celebration? please. oh, i forgot. you're handcuffed. never mind, i'll feed you. won't you ask me what i'm celebrating?


tomorrow i'm getting married. won't you ask me my bride's name? you're going to love hearing this. her name is gauri. aren't you going to congratulate me? would you like me togive gauri your regards too? she'll be delighted. if you want a presentdelivered to gauri.. i can arrange that as well.


gift? i would like to make you a gift.but i'm helpless. not even one of my hands is free. qureshi, undo the handcuffs. let me see for myselfwhat gift he wishes to give. you.. i could pay you backfor this insolence.. ..but i won't soil my hands. because tomorrow, with these hands,i am to accept gauri.


krishna. krishna. krishna. gauri? my wedding.. no need to say anything.i've heard everything. what have you heard? that you'll be marriedoff to girivar mathur tomorrow. girivar told me himselfand sought my good wishes. if you want to stay atthe receiving end of the news.. ..here's somethingeven girivar doesn't know.


tomorrow he's comingto marry my corpse. gauri! gauri! gauri! fetch the bride.the auspicious moment is passing. your bridegroom is here.hurry up and get dressed. if you refuse to marry,it'll kill your father. pawan! come on, friend. get him! don't let him escape. stop it, you fools. krishna, i'm tired.let's rest here for a while.


krishna, the sight ofgirivar waiting to marry me.. ..was like the sightof death sitting in wait. then i saw you on the horse and.. ..it was like lifereaching out for me. let's sit here for a while. there he is. take that route. girivar! run, pawan.


split up. find them. hide here and wait for me. which way did he go?- that way, sir. he gave me the slip.but i'm not going to spare him. of course. the one hehas kidnapped is our daughter. but she's girivar mathur's bride too. i swear on my mother, i'll catch him.. ..even if it's thelast act in my life.


but what if he castshis lot with the wild beasts? wild beasts? bandits. he'll surely cast his lot with them. and god help you! like father like son. a bandit's son will become a bandit. krishna, i still can't believe this..you brought me away. yes, i have.


but i don't know whetheri did the right thing. why? in our culture it's the daughter.. ..who may bring honouror dishonour to a family. and your father.. would marrying that rascalbring honour to my father? maybe not,but a wedding is a wedding, gauri. now, all will say thatfather's daughter has eloped. if it's the world he cares for,then it's his choosing.


do you know how vast my world is? do you want me to tell you?- tell me. so vast! with you by my side,my world is with me. look, if not for the world,then for our own sakes.. ..for the sakes of our children,we must marry. what's taking you time?i'm all dressed for the wedding. and you look handsome anyway. but we need a priest tosolemnise the wedding rites.


i'll perform the rites. i know them. listen, here goes.. you and i.. ..you and i are united. [sanskrit chants] dear..do you hear me? our krishna is here! look, our krishna.- krishna. bless me, sir.- bless you, son. krishna.- ma'am.


may you be happy always, son.it's so good to see you. this is gauri, my wife. pay your respects. bless you, dear. be happy always,may you have many children. our krishna's bride. come in. sit. she is so pretty. when was the wedding, and where?


it's a long story.we got married in the temple. you could have gotten married here. we could have performedall the rituals. never too late, is it?now that the bride has come home.. ..you can get on with all the rituals.arrange the meal now. in the meantime let us mendo some catching up. come on, son. my sweet child. what a thing to happen! a police officer onthe run like a bandit.


at long last,god gives me a son, and now.. i told you everything.i have concealed nothing. but you married on the sly,and denied us the celebration. but i've brought her home. and you're staying too, right? no, the police are afterme like a pack of wild dogs. if i stay, you'll get in trouble. don't worry about me, son. besides, you didn't commit any crime.


you may think that way. by now, they must havecharged me with robbing.. ..the jewellery thatgauri was wearing. i must return her jewellery.- but how? i'll find a way. somehow i will. what's this?- dewdrops. dewdrops. then shower it on flowers,why waste it on thorns? dew from a bride's tresses..


..can make flowersblossom amid thorns. let's see how the flower blossoms. not now, take a bath first. i bathed at dawn. where?- come on. look. isn't it beautiful? yes, pretty. very pretty.


you're supposed to take a bath. i'd rather bathe in my bride's dew. i'm shy.- of whom? is anyone watching us? they.. the birds. birds?- yes. good. they can goand tell their mates.. ..that they discovered anothercouple who need no more .. ..than the earth for abed under the skies to make love.


great. go and take a bath first. "the season of love has come." "there's music in the air.." "..in the season of love.." "how rare this solitude." "let's make loveto our hearts' content." "like love-birds, let's make love." "in the fires of passion.." "..what pleasure is burning?"


"the mystery is unravelled.." "..to only those who are consumed.." "how can the thirst of lifetimes.." "..be slaked in moments?" "try to quench thisthirst only increases." "you'll know when you're in love." "two eyes are poisedto strike a heart." "fly away naughty bird,i'm about to make love." "love's law is strange."


"when in love gone.." "..is the peace of mind." "and yet in love they indulge." "this is how i want to make love.." "..with mischief in myeyes and a fire in my heart." "in the sweet fire,two hearts will burn." "we'll swear to liveand die together." "fly away, naughty bird.i'm about to make love." "it was calledrevolutionary somewhere.."


he's the policemanwho caught two of our men. let's take them to dadu. makkad! he was a police informer. the police might get away. but not the police informer. if you don't believe me,you can ask the dead man. well, makkad? who's this girl?


your wife? the boy looks innocent.why did you pick him up? don't go by his looks, dadu.. he's the policeman from fatehpurwho nabbed two of our men. then he isn't so innocent. a man who can nab two ofmy men must be a man of worth. the police are now pursuing.. ..one of their ownwho was pursuing our men. boy, forget the job.


and come and join me. no, never. you refuse to obey dadu? you want me to join hands with you.. ..so that you can get me killedfor your selfish ends some day? are you raving, boy? hold your tongue. have you forgotten ujagar singh? the police didn't kill ujagar singh. you him killed.


you found ujagar singh'sname in the files at fatehpur? no, his name is written here. he was my father. ujagar's son? so much the better. the blacksmith'sson become a blacksmith. the goldsmith's sonbecomes a goldsmith. and the bandit's son? i say, what are youdoing with the police?


join us. no, i've cast my lotwith the law until my death. dadu, look. give me my booty.- no. are you out of your mind, boy? are you stopping a bandit from loot? that isn't ours.it belongs to someone else. i must return it. consider it returned.


let go. beware. drop your guns, everyone!or i'll blow his brains out. drop your guns. give me the jewellery. take your fingers off that trigger.he's my brother. brother? get up. krishna,from now on, death is after you!


thanks be to god thatwe escaped with our lives. you were sure to be saved.a policeman was with you. how long will this policemancontinue to endure troubles? these ornaments are thecause of all the trouble. until i return these to father.. ..some problem or theother is bound to come up. and so? i'm going to return these to him.somehow. you stay here.


all right, but come back soon.i'm going to be lonely. i'll be back before sundown. until then, let this protect you. you expect me to use that? do you forget thatyou are a policeman's wife? pawan, stay here. i'll be back. sir!- what is it? krishna was spotted.in the marketplace. when?


a while ago.- come on. that's krishna's horse. so krishna hasn't made a getaway.come on. what happened to you? what's this? girivar mathur's bullet. how did he get to know? thanks to pawan. i told you to stay..


you can't stay in one place? i told you stop one place.- stop, krishna. stop, krishna. look over there. those..are bullet-wounds. he brought you here despitegetting shot so many times. why didn't you tell me? but how could you, my friend? i'm not going to let him die in pain. i can't bear to see pawan so helpless.


i'm going to set him free. if i don't, he'll suffer.. ..as the wild beasts tear him apart. no, krishna. forgive me, friend. "come unto me, all my life is yours." "come unto me, all my life if yours." "there's nothing i value more." "is sorrow all there isin store for you all your life?"


"is there so much suffering in life?" why are people afraid of death? it's life that's scary. at every turn,a new sorrow lies in wait. why not think of dawn at the end.. ..of every dark night? it's easy to amuseyourself with thoughts. not life. "why be unhappy aboutsorrow's dark night?"


"why lose out to your woes?" "light for yourself atorch to light up your way." "is sorrow all there isin store for us all our lives?" "your love is so benevolent." "the world is so merciless." "my heart is scarred with betrayals." "how can i tell youhow cruel life is?" i was saying..- tell me. strange, you have something to say,but you won't say it?


what's the matter? tell me. i'm shy. what about? remember telling me allthat before we were even married. now we're man and wife.- that's why.. that's why? silly, are there anysecrets between man and wife? little secrets are what make romancelast and preserve some dignity. stop talking like a grandmother,and tell me.


not grandmother. just mother. one more.- no, enough. feed her a bellyful. don't criticise. it's beenso long since i ate her cooking. have more, dear.- when did i stop you? eat, more. make sure she eats lots.she has another life in her. really! many thanks to god! eat to your heart's content.


make sure she does all the chores. that way, she'll stay fit. she and.. the son who's coming. that's why i brought her over.she'll be staying here. i'll visit you from time to time.is that all right? it must be right. when sita [lord ram'swife] was pregnant.. ..didn't her husband lordram banish her to the forests? sita was banishedfrom home to the forests.


and you are cominghome from the forests. isn't this your home? home it is, mother. may you live forever in marital bliss. mother!- what happened? i'm in pain. listen..- what happened? what happened, dear? our home is about to be blessed.


she's in labour. get the physician. i'll take care of her.- i'll go right away. lie down, dear. wife! two bandits are headedright for our house. oh, god. father, they must be the ones.. ..who have been looking for us. mother, hide me somewhere.


and father,they mustn't get to know i'm here. don't worry. come, my child.- careful. don't be afraid.- in the barn. spread that rug. come on. lie down. lie down, dear.- don't make noise. mother..- be brave. mother!- dear..


hey, old man! who are you, sir? what do you want? don't act naive. where's that girl?- no girl here. my wife and i are the only ones here. is that so? and your foster son and his wife? you're mistaken. no one here but my wife and me.


so you won't tell? i told you! there's no girl here.- talk! where is the girl? there's nothing in there. . that's just the barn.- move! there's nothing in there.that's just the barn. - move! out of my way, old man.- there's nothing in there. stop. get out. are you all right?


look, a son. beautiful. how is my daughter-in-law?how are you, my child? uncle.. my boy! just like his father. where are the bandits? they picked up theirdead comrade and ran. we can't stay here any longer. i've been the cause of this trouble. i must take gauri and the boy away.


not in this condition. please try to understand. they carried their dead man home. their leader is going to be incensed. we shouldn't be staying here. who was it?- krishna. he kicked him mercilesslyuntil he died. then how did you stay alive? to bring the news to me?


it's all right, gauri!no need to be afraid. i threw it away. get a hold on yourself, gauri. what's there to cry about? nothing. no reason. ever since he was borni've been dreaming of snakes. i get such nightmares. i'm so afraid. you're so brave.must you let a dream scare you? no, i'm afraid of myown mind questioning me.


krishna, remember? at the mausoleum of salim chishti,we made a wish. the lord fulfilled our wish. but we still haven'tmade good on our promise. we haven't yet paid our respects. you can go any time. who can stop us frompaying our respects? no one. no one! gauri, let's rest here for a whilebefore proceeding to the mausoleum.


there, you see in the distancethat's chishti's mausoleum. this is a nice place. but why do i feel so anxious? i'm anxious too. maybe because.. ..for the first time,i did something without telling you. i wrote a letter. to father. then you're no longer angry. and maybe my fatherisn't angry any more either.


gauri..- yes. i have written saying that i wishto turn myself over to the police. after me,there mustn't be another krishna.. ..another orphan denouncedfor being his father's son. what are you saying, krishna? will you make thissacrifice just for our love? no gauri,for my sacrifice, i'll be given love. "to make good my promise,i come to you." "not all the torture makes me weak."


"not all the torture.." "..makes me weak." "neither the world,nor its horrors frighten me." "not of life.." "..nor of death.." "if anything, i live in god's fear." "unto those that seek to torment me,the fear of god." "unto you, i come to pay my respects." "your world and mine,that has been plundered."


"i pray, do not look away from me." "i pray, no more mishaps." "here is another lifethat has blossomed.." "let not this blossom wilt, i pray." "your world and mine.." "your world and mine,that has been plundered.." "i seek to build again." "i seem to build again." take him in.


why did you stop? come upstairs. i'm not going upstairs, father. i'll live in krishna's room. what's left of that room? much of memories, of dreams. i'll pretend i'm near him. as if you haven't disgracedus enough for him? you've borne his sin,and you still pine for him? far worse than a wrongdoer is the onewho drives an innocent to do wrong.


as arrogant as ever. she's meeting thatscoundrel every day. and my poor father.if not me, who's going to tell him? i've got myself a backache. finish the paperwork.- yes, sir! i'm going home. whose home? god help..- those who don't understand. girivar..


mr. girivar mathur,what exactly do you want? he'll be here too. is he a bit late today? stop. stop! let him come. let me witness passion's naked dance.. ..that has destroyed our lives! but..


no answers necessary. everything lies before me,like an open book. a bandit's son becomes a bandit.. born of tainted blood.. and so virtuous a womanshe was whom he tried to rape! at that very moment,i should have killed him. - no! stop! or i'll shoot. you aren't human.you are sin personified. and you died the day you barteredmy dignity for gratification.


no. no. he's coming. remember, i wish tosee the naked dance of lust. forgive me, darling. i'm a bit late. why are you so cross? what is the matter? you were neverapprehensive of my touch. the woman i love is in tears?


who has hurt you? the game is over, girivar. i see your true face. and now, the world will see. i'll strip you for everyone to see. you don't even know me, yadav. god help you. who doesn't know a snake in the grass? you seduced my wife.you have destroyed my world.


do you intend to kill me? with no regrets whatsoever. killing vermin is no sin. move aside girivar. why you stop.. shoot me. this is what sets us apart. youstill can't bear to see her dead. and i can break her neckwithout a second thought. throw the pistol. girivar, don't! no!


no!- move aside! i said leave.. i'm damned. arrest mr. yadav. he killed his wife with this gun. why are your hands shaking? stop talking nonsense.and put it away. it bears mr. yadav's fingerprints. yours too, sir.


and god help the naive. forgive me for asking this, sir. but did mr. yadav really kill her? maybe you didn't hear what i told you. mr. yadav committed the murder. maybe, but he's a policeman too. that's the big difference, qureshi. he was. i am. i understand, sir.


if you open your mouthi won't spare you either. i'll never open my mouth. but someone knows without being told. who are you talking about? god. maybe you've heard of him? qureshi, gauri isn't at her house.where has she gone? ever since mr. yadav was locked away.. ..gauri has moved in with mr.ramchander. but what are you doing here?


god help the unknowing. keep standing, girivar prasad mathur. just as well that you're here. or we'd be looking for you everywhere. what is the matter, sir?- nothing special. you are under arrest chargedwith murdering mrs. yadav. qureshi. handcuff him. stop!- what is the matter?


sir, i have served the law for years. i'll never opposethe working of the law. i'll walk to the lock up. i request that i not be handcuffed. okay. no handcuffs. take him away.- thank you, sir. mr. girivar mathur. your revolver. mr. yadav,you are no longer an accused.


the real culprit has been identified. how did you know about girivar? from constable qureshi. he shotqureshi dead and is a fugitive now. please let me out on parole,for only two days. i'll present myself toyou after two days, i promise. by then, i'll have nabbed girivar. i can vouch for krishna. very well. not even begging at myfeet will get you anywhere.


girivar prasad mathur.. ..your sins are so despicablethat even the merciful lord.. ..will think twicebefore forgiving you. girivar has never apologised,nor will he ever. scoundrel!- no, father. i won't let you be taintedwith the murder of such a swine. i have scores to settle with him. no, krishna! listen to me. leave me krishna!


i'm unarmed. shoot. if you're man enough, drop the gun. one for pawan. why are you making me suffer? i'm not going to kill you. i'm leaving you to the vultures. if you're man enough, shoot. krishna! your father was a bandit.


you are a bandit's son. you are a bandit too. you're an orphan. boy.. ..when surrounded by death.. ..not even the bravestcan lift a finger. aren't you one of the brave ones? i hear you didn't even useyour hands to kill my brother. used your legs to kill him, did you?


i'm not going to usemy hands to kill you. it's going to be my horse's hooves. with every hoof-beat, you'll scream.. ..as you think of my brother. and who is he to you? your father's assassin? or your wife's father? purkhiya,you and i are now as we were then. you, the murderer and i,the executioner.


you lost your job. but its arrogance is still with you. bring him along too. come on! mother, please take of the boy.- give him here, dear. stay back, gauri. for my sake. and stay put. i'll be back. but they will.. afraid for my life? have you no faith in your husband?


faith can survive any assassin. i will return. see for yourself the policeman's end. bandits never diea death like this one. your krishna willdie under horses' hooves. let him pass. hey, mr. yadav.. ..use this to cut the bonds. no father! go back.


dadu, krishna andyadav have disappeared. where can they go? they must be hiding,somewhere in the crags. why did you do this, father? with my hands.. ..i orphaned you, krishna. how could i let your son.. ..be orphaned? god..


..bless.. father, i wasn't orphaned then. now i'm an orphan. unfortunate as i am.. ..never could i repay your love. and for the second time.. ..i have lost a father. comb the crags. drag out the dog. go!


you don't hear me? what are you waiting for? move it. i said.. no..no, krishna.. no, krishna! samshera. give me the gun.


Subscribe to receive free email updates: